After several meetings at the Senior Center, I finally have the background done. I tested out a border last Thursday.
I think the border needs to be narrower. I thought about trying a wood grain look using the blue and brown, but I am going back to simple. I think I will do two rows of blue and then a few rows of brown. By hooking a section of about 6-8″ you can usually tell what will work. If you are unsure, move to another section of the rug and hook another 6-8″. Don’t rip it out until you have to.
I need to tweak the background a bit. I think I want more dark in the lower area and around the woman’s face. A simple removal of a partial strip here and there will do it. I find it easier to just get it hooked, and then once it is done, make any adjustments I need.
Want to learn how to hook faces?
I am creating an online course that goes into a lot more detail. Watch me hook every stage of a face. This will be open for enrollment in Spring 2022.
Read all the posts about hooking Woman with Baby
- How to Hook the Eye
- Continuation of How to hook a Wide Cut Face
- Work Begins on the Baby
- Rug Hooking begins on the Mother’s Arm
- Rug Hooking Continues on Mother’s Arm
- Choosing the Background for rug hooked portrait
- Rug Hooking the Baby’s Fine Hair
- Rug Hooking the Mother’s Blue Head Scarf
- Rug Hooking Some Background on Woman with Baby
- Green Blurry Foilage Background Continues
- Rug Hooking an Interesting Background
- Woman with Baby is almost done