You may have chosen an oval rug to avoid corners, but it is NOT an easier shape to hook. The shape must be drawn accurately. Watch the video on the How to Draw a Rectangle or Oval shape. You must take extreme care when hooking it to keep the curves right.
Once you have the rug hooked, now you have to finish it.
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:56 How much do I cut off my hooked rug to finish it?
- 01:44 How to keep an oval rug from rippling
- 02:34 Cut off the excess backing on my hooked rug
- 03:01 How do I zig zag the edge of my hooked rug?
- 03:56 Baste down the first fold of the fold forward finish
- 05:32 Baste down the second fold for the fold forward finish
- 06:56 Where do I find more rug hooking information?
How to finish a hooked rug
Here are my best instructions for finishing. I teach this method to beginners and plan to use this finish on my room-sized rug.
If you are a member of The Rug Hooking Journey be sure to visit The Basics course and print out the PDF of this finish. There is also a video on that page for a good overview of the process.