When I begin a new project, I try to use all the colors right away. Here I have a bit of the value I intend to use for hair on the left. This is actually a piece of dark green wool. It is there to help me see the value that I will use later.
I hooked the face values on the forehead first and then I hooked the eye just before I took the picture. I needed a bit of a warm up before I hooked the most important part, in this case, the eye.
To hook the eye I follow these steps:
- Hook the upper lash line with a dark wool. I used a dark brown herringbone.
- Hook the iris. This is rarely a full circle. The top part is usually cut off by the upper lash line.
- Hook the lower lid using a face color. This can be light, medium or dark, depending on how you shade the face.
- Fill the pupil with a dark.
- Fill the whites of the eye with white. I used a white herringbone texture that is far from white.
- Add the highlight.