I hooked a bit of each color so I could make adjustments as soon as possible. This method is not new for me, this is how I hook every new rug. The exception is my room-sized rug but I had already figured out the colors first by hooking stair risers and footstools.
The blue plaid is not working – it is too dark. See the area next to the rope on the left. Luckily, I found an overdyed check that is the right value. This is hooked across the bottom. That’ll do.
I’ve tried a few different things with the rope border. I tried outlining in the dark brown that I am using for the outer background. If this had worked I would have had to figure out something else for the background in this area. Still not sure if I have the right combination, but it works for now. The best part so far is at the lower left next to the new background color. I don’t have enough hooked to make a decision now. I’ll have to get more of each background hooked first.
The yellow in the bee needs to be brighter. I’m also going to grab a few other options for the wings. I don’t think there will be enough difference when compared to the white stripe in the flag. I am not hooking the black outline that allows the graphic to work, so I have to adjust the color.
The flag is fine but I will need either a lighter or darker green for the second value for the hat.
Notice how I’ve begun hooking the background. I hook small curvy lines that remind me of puzzle pieces to make the loops disappear. By hooking some of the background now, I will have less to hook later.