Episode 014 Fold Forward Rug Finish
This is the finish that I teach to beginner rug hookers. Easy technique and simple supplies make it ideal for beginners and experienced rug hookers alike. This is a sturdy finish that holds up well to foot traffic and still looks good on a wall hanging.
Supplies you will need:
- 3:09 Ruler or a Finishing Measurement Tool
- Pencil 3:30 Draw a straight line
- Regular needle and thread
- Yarn, 100% wool in a color that coordinates with your rug.
- Doll needle for whipping with the wool yarn.
- Sewing Machine
- Steam and let it dry.
- Measure 1 1/4″ from the hooking, draw a straight line on all 4 sides.
- Straight stitch between the line and the loops on round or oval rugs.
- Cut on the line.
- Zig zag with a sewing machine or use an overcast stitch.
- Mark the corner miter.
- Stitch inside the line with a zig zag and straight stitch with a back tack.
- Fold in once and baste.
- Fold in twice and baste. First fold down the corner.
Then fold the sides again and baste.
- Begin whipping about 1″ from a corner. Manage the cut yarn in a Strip Sorter.
- 25:27 CORNER TRICK
Setting up the corner
Small stitches at the corner
- Steam agin if needed
- Add a label – next week’s podcast
Be sure to read the written instructions for another point of view.
Written Fold Forward Finish instructions
What finish do you prefer?
Let me know in the comments…
Subscribe to your favorite service below
New episodes released on Tuesday — just not every Tuesday
Now available on Audible.
List of Podcast Episodes
- 001 – The Rug Hooking Podcast is Here!
- 002 – Packing for rug camp, tips on what to bring with you
- 003 – How to choose the right finish for your hooked rug
- 004 – Collecting wool and washing it for rug hooking
- 005 – Beginner rug hooking equipment
- 006 – Cutting Rug Hooking Wool with and without a Cutter
- 007 – How to Rug Hook – pulling up the loops
- 008 – Rug Hooking Cut Sizes Explained
- 009 – Where to start rug hooking
- 010 – Learn to Hook Better by Learning to See
- 011 – The Secret to primitive hooking is not just in the wool
- 012 – But I’m not an Artist. . . .
- 013 – Creativity: Rug Hook Naked
- 014 – Fold Forward Finish, my favorite rug finish
- 015 – Add a Label to your Hooked Rugs
- 016 – Steaming your Hooked Rug
- 017 – Stop Photo Copying your Rug
- 018 -What’s Available on my Website