Be sure to visit Cindi Gay Recommendation page for the latest links.
Rug Hooking Frames
- a simple embroidery hoop
- weighed down with a bean bag filled with coins
- picture frame wrapped in cloth, use t-pins to hold backing in place
- might want to join a meeting, go to an exhibit or workshop to see what everyone is using
- ask around
- I currently recommend the Needleworks frame
call 1-860-283-8534 or [email protected] Please tell them that Cindi Gay sent you
- Hand made frames are usually “good enough”, and “good enough” is all you need to get started
- Cheap hooks are available, usually under $10, but not optimal, Hobby Lobby
- Expect to pay $40 – 75 for a good hook
- Watch out for pretty
- Shank size – size does matter
- make your own
- crochet hook
- cut to length
- polymer clay
Rug Hooking Backing (aka Foundation Cloth)
- No substitutes here
- Order on my website (recommended backings)
- other backings
- monk’s cloth
Scissors for Rug Hooking
- small blade scissors, the type they sell for back to school
- not dress maker scissors
- later you will want offset scissors
Rug Hooking Wool
- recycled, but the quality is not the same
- get a full color plan – all the wool you need and only the wool you need
- buy at workshops, exhibits, etc.
- very few stand alone rug hooking shops
- most wool is bought online – trust your source
- Visit my online rug hooking store
Subscribe to your favorite service below
New episodes released on Tuesday — just not every Tuesday
Now available on Audible.
List of Podcast Episodes
- 001 – The Rug Hooking Podcast is Here!
- 002 – Packing for rug camp, tips on what to bring with you
- 003 – How to choose the right finish for your hooked rug
- 004 – Collecting wool and washing it for rug hooking
- 005 – Beginner rug hooking equipment
- 006 – Cutting Rug Hooking Wool with and without a Cutter
- 007 – How to Rug Hook – pulling up the loops
- 008 – Rug Hooking Cut Sizes Explained
- 009 – Where to start rug hooking
- 010 – Learn to Hook Better by Learning to See
- 011 – The Secret to primitive hooking is not just in the wool
- 012 – But I’m not an Artist. . . .
- 013 – Creativity: Rug Hook Naked
- 014 – Fold Forward Finish, my favorite rug finish
- 015 – Add a Label to your Hooked Rugs
- 016 – Steaming your Hooked Rug
- 017 – Stop Photo Copying your Rug
- 018 -What’s Available on my Website
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.
Take a break once a week.
Delivered in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day, Tuesday at noon, eastern.