My project to teach this year at Teachers’ Workshop is a wide cut female face. I have it hooked but I cannot share it with you until after the workshop. In the meantime, I decided to see if I could also hook black skin using just textures.
I’ve always been told by teachers that you should hook the eyes of animals or people first. I’m not always good about doing what I’ve been told. I need to get a feel for the project by hooking somewhere else first. I began by hooking some of the light and dark areas.
How to rug hook the eyes in the face
I hook the eyes by hooking a dark line for the upper lash. Next hook the iris or colored part of the eye. This is usually just a partial circle. Fill in the dark pupil. Next hook some of the flesh color for the lower lash line. Do not use a dark here unless you are going for a heavy makeup look. Then fill in the whites of the eyes. Even the white wool is a texture.
Want to learn how to hook faces?
I am creating an online course that goes into a lot more detail. Watch me hook every stage of a face. This will be open for enrollment in Spring 2021.
Read all the posts about hooking Woman with Baby
- How to Hook the Eye
- Continuation of How to hook a Wide Cut Face
- Work Begins on the Baby
- Rug Hooking begins on the Mother’s Arm
- Rug Hooking Continues on Mother’s Arm
- Choosing the Background for rug hooked portrait
- Rug Hooking the Baby’s Fine Hair
- Rug Hooking the Mother’s Blue Head Scarf
- Rug Hooking Some Background on Woman with Baby
- Green Blurry Foilage Background Continues
- Rug Hooking an Interesting Background
- Woman with Baby is almost done
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.
Take a break once a week.
Delivered in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day, Wednesday at noon, eastern.