I spent some free time in the Doctor’s waiting room. On a scrap of paper I played around with some ideas. The upper right is my current idea for the border around the rug. I liked how the roses barge into the circle border. The two rugs to the left may become rug hooking patterns.
When I originally started the room sized rug, I hooked the stair risers as tests for the border. I had planned to use repeats of Queen Anne Rose. This was such a fundamental element of how I started the design, that it was hard to let go.
The rose I am using in the border is different from the roses in the center of the rug. This is the rose from Queen Anne Rose stair riser. So I am using some of the design, just now how I originally intended.
I spread the rug out on the living room floor and placed paper cut outs where I wanted the roses for the border. Below are photos showing how I drew up the individual designs using a fat marker. After I cut them out, it is easy to move them around until I have an arrangement I like. I am not going to get too worried about having them exactly spaced. I like the slightly “off” look better. When things are perfect, they are stiff and boring.
One example is the line around the circle border. I originally hooked three lines perfectly in the ditch. There was something wrong, it was too perfect. I ripped out and rehooked the center line allowing myself to meander three holes on each side of the center line, trying not to make a pattern . Then I hooked a row tight against each side. Wonderfully planned randomness!
Read all the posts about my Room sized Rug (Updated 2019)
- Day 1-35 of rug hooking: Putting the pattern on the backing & hooking a rose
- Day 36 My temporary rug hooking set up – How to hook a large rug
- Day 38 – 94 Resolving the Large Leaves & Hooking the Border
- Day 94 How to hook crooked rows not straight ones
- Day 99-275 Circle Border on Room-sized Rug
- How to Hook the Circle Border
- Day 276 – 425 Progress on Room-sized Rug
- Day 426 – 659 Progress on Room-sized rug
- New Border Ideas for Room-Sized Hooked Rug
- Day 660 – 902 progress on Room-sized Rug
- Day 903 – 2491 Progress on Room Sized Rug
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.