Live! Replay for May 11, 2017
Enrollment for Color Planning for Rug Hookers is now open.
Enroll today and watch later. No appointments or time restraints. You will have lifetime open access to all the training, any time, any where, on any device.
To watch live each week, follow the instructions on cindigayrughooking.com/live or go to rughooklive.com. Be sure to sign up for the email notifications on that page.
How to rug hook
This is not a comprehensive how to rug hook guide, but it will get you started.
- 00:00 A bit about my background
- 00:47 Rug hooking 101 taught at workshops
- 02:20 I am in the first steps of creating a beginner online course
- 03:00 Enrollment for Color Planning for Rug Hookers is now open. Enroll today and watch later. No appointments or time restraints. You will have lifetime open access to all the training, any time, any where, on any device.
- 06:04 How to watch the webinar when you are watching live
- 06:58 How to raise your hand so you can ask a question using video or just your voice.
- 07:31 Begin the lesson
- 08:13 Hooks
- 09:32 Strip sorter. Get yours here.
- 10:10 Using a magnet to secure the strip sorter… and your hook and scissors
- 10:57 How to hold the strip and the hook
- 11:56 How long the tail should be
- 12:31 Trim right away or later?
- 13:05 Pull the first loop
- 13:36 Keep your grip loose
- 13:54 Pulling up loops in rug warp should be easy
- 14:27 Drag the hook on the backing to leave room for the hook
- 15:10 Roll toward the work that is done
- 14:41 Hold your hook perpendicular to the direction of your loops
- 17:18 How high do you pull the loops?
- 17:20 How close together (hint: very rarely will you use every hole)
- 17:40 How to know if you are packing (putting in too many loops)
- 19:29 Counting holes, how close together to put the loops
- 20:56 Even if you cannot see up close…… Rug Aid
- 23:29 Buying hooks
- 24:32 How close do you put one row against the other?
- 25:49 But I can still see the backing….
- 26:22 Cutting the tails. You need offset scissors
- 28:39 Hiding the tails
- 29:03 More rug hook discussion
- 30:57 How to avoid twisting loops
- 32:32 What cut size were you using? My favorite, #7
- 33:06 Where to ask a question for future Live! lessons
- 33:56 Should I hold the hook like a pencil? Short answer – no.
- 36:30 Your equipment should fit you. Collapsible floor rug hooking stand.
- 38:23 Have you ever used a hoop instead of a frame?
- Current recommended frame: Needleworks
- To ask a question to be answered
- 40:50 Color Planning for Rug Hookers Course: enrollment open until May 15. It will not open again for a few months.
- 41:54 Show and Tell of the rug I was working on. It is the SeaBee emblem from my husband’s Navy Construction Battalion. The unit was just recently decommissioned. I thought it was time to get some work done on it.
Need more help with color planning?
Check out my online courses. The video lessons are there waiting for you to watch at any time. Need to hear something more than once? No problem. Just rewind the video. How many times have you been in a rug hooking class and you missed something? A live teacher does not have a rewind, but the videos do.
You get lifetime access. That means you will be able to enjoy all the improvements I make in the future. You are already "in."
Membership to a private Facebook group is included. This is a safe place to ask questions that will only be seen by other rug hookers in the class, not your entire Facebook community.
I will host live lessons. The August 2017 enrollment period had 7 live lessons. Each will be recorded if you cannot attend live. Only enrolled students in the class will have access. If you are already enrolled, you have access to everything new.Enrollment for Color Planning for Rug Hookers is now open. Enroll today and watch later. No appointments or time restraints. You will have lifetime open access to all the training, any time, any where, on any device.
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.