*uses your ink supply and paper
If you have a method for the Mac, please email me. I’ve been using excel. Email me if you want the instructions. When I find a more streamlined way on the Mac, I will post it here.
Finding a copy shop to enlarge your original pattern can be challenging, especially if you live in a rural area. Once you locate a shop, the cost is another problem. Imagine enlarging your pattern to any size at any time of the day or night without leaving home. My instructions assume you have a working knowledge of computers and you are using a Windows XP operating system. Here’s how:
- Get your original image into digital format. Use a digital photo that you took or scan your printed photo or original drawing. If you do not have a scanner, most copy shops or a friend can do this part for you. Keep in mind that most scanners are limited to the size of one sheet of paper. Play fair. Remember copyright laws and respect the work of other artists and photographers.
- Open the program called Paint. If you do not have an icon on your desktop, click on Start, then All Programs. Next click on Accessories, then Paint. Paint has been included with all Windows operating systems since the beginning.
- Once in the program, open your digital photo file.
- Click on File, Page Setup.
- Clear Centering, both Horizontal and Vertical.
- Set all Margins to zero. Your computer will probably fill in numbers, but do not worry. These are the minimum settings for your printer.
- Choose an Orientation that best fits your picture. Look at the Preview to the left.
- Be sure Scaling is set to 100%.
- Click OK to close this box.
- Click on File, Print. This step will verify the exact size of the original photo.
- Now we need to calculate the percentage needed to print the image at your desired size. Measure the original. Determine the final size. Divide the final size by the original size. Multiply the answer by 100.
- Click on File, Page Setup. Enter the number you calculated above into the Scaling box, replacing the 100. Click OK.
- Click on File, Print. The program will automatically print the entire image. It probably does not fit on one page now, but the program will print as much as it can on the first page, then print the rest on the next pages. Lay the pages on the floor in the order they come off the printer. Assemble the puzzle. If you keep the pages in the order as they are printed, you will have an easier job.
- If the size is correct, cut off the white margins on two sides of the paper and tape them together. If you need to adjust, go back to step 8 and enter a new percentage. Reprint.
The dialog box above shows the default settings that probably show up on your computer also. If your screen is different, just adjust the settings until it matches the one below.
Your screen should look like this:
Original is 3”
I want the rug to be 24”
24/3 = 8
8 times 100 = 800, enter 800 into the scaling box, see step 8.
Now the sky is the limit. You can print an image ANY size you want.
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.