Enrollment for Color Planning for Rug Hookers is now closed.
It will re-open October 4, 2017 at midnight eastern for the last time in 2017. The first enrollment period in 2018 will be in late January.
Enrollment for Color Planning for Rug Hookers is now closed. It will re-open October 4, 2017 at midnight eastern for the last time in 2017. The first enrollment period in 2018 will be in late January.
Do you struggle with color planning?
- Do you have “that” pattern? You know the one. You loved it when you bought it, but now you have no idea where to begin? What color goes where? How do you get started?
- To get help, do you attend a workshop but still go home with an unfinished rug and no idea what to do next?
- Do you hook and rip, and then hook and rip, and then hook……?
- How many more pieces of random wool will you buy that don’t “go” with anything?
- Are you struggling to put together a rug even though you have tons of wool and love every piece? It should be simpler.
- Why waste one more day with a rug you’ve lost interest in because you don’t like it and you don’t know what to do to fix it?
- How long will you continue to wonder why everyone else has it figured out and you don’t?
I’m Cindi Gay. I’ve taught at rug hooking workshops all over the country for the last 15 years. I have color planned hundreds of rugs using every style and color combination possible. Over time, I developed a system that just plain works. I use many different methods. At each workshop I can only teach one or two methods. There is not enough time for a complete color planning training. Many rug hookers are at camp to just hook, so the focus is on getting everyone started. I don’t always get the opportunity to explain the reasons behind my color choices.
But what if I captured all that knowledge in a comprehensive color planning course that is a combination of video, audio and text (on the screen and printable) that you can revisit as many times as you need, at any time of the year, at any time of the day, forever?
What if you could confidently color plan any pattern, any style, any design? How many rugs could you hook if you did not have to think and rethink every color choice, ripping and re-hooking each time?
What if you could eliminate the most frustrating part of rug hooking and only have the good parts left? Hmmm…I wish this was available for cookies. All the great taste but no calories… (Pause to wipe the cookie crumbs from my face)
Why online rug camp?
- Less expensive – no travel, meal or hotel costs. I paid
$325$350 for just the instructional fee for my last rug camp. I still had to get there and pay for the hotel and meals.
- Not as physically taxing. You can start and stop on your schedule
- No pressure to hook fast, so you can work at your own pace and on your own schedule
- No disruption of your daily routine
- Watch as many lessons as you want as often as you need to
- How much actual instruction time with the teacher did you get at your last rug camp? Do you still have unanswered questions? Ask your questions at one of the Live! Lessons scheduled during each enrollment period. Once you are enrolled you will have access to recordings of past Live! Lessons and access to every new one scheduled.
Many different ways to learn each lesson
- Video, look over my shoulder and see how it is done
- PDF download that you can print out and keep in a notebook
- Audio*, listen while you mow the lawn or drive the car using your phone or MP3 player
Multiple ways to learn. Sometimes you have to be exposed to a lesson more than once and in different ways. If you need paper, download the PDF. Need to listen carefully? Listen to just the audio. Need to see it done? Watch the video. You can even download the transcript* and print it out and then watch the video with the script in front of you, making notes as you go.
This workshop is perfect for you if:
- You struggle with color planning and want to improve your skills.
- You have a curiosity and want to learn all you can about rug hooking
- You want to work more independently and not rely on a color plan developed during a workshop to get a “good” rug.
- Your schedule or family circumstances make it difficult to get away for a week.
- You are finally ready to throw out the photo and stop copying someone else’s work. No one can hook your version except you.
A 3-4 day workshop will cost you over $300 for just the instructional fee. Most camps are significantly more. Once you factor in the travel costs, airline or gas and wear and tear on your car, hotel, meals and snacks, time off work, etc., you’ve spent a great deal more.
Instead, spend a fraction of that, and have at your fingertips, a full color planning course (more than what I could teach at a single workshop) that you can watch over and over, at any time of the day or night without even leaving your bed! I will be constantly improving this course and you will get all those updates also!
What a great lesson! I did the exercise and thought for sure that I knew where my values would go and much to my surprise my value study of choice is something completely different. And that is why I’m taking this course. I’m seeing choices that I never realized were there. Thank you Cindi! I will use this tool to color plan all my rugs from now on.
Course Outline *subject to revision
Click refresh if you are logged in but denied access.
- Color Theory Introduction
- Value is More Important Than Color
- The Color Wheel
- Color Relationships
- Seasonal Color
- Personal Color
The Basic Process
- The Basic Process Introduction
- Value Study Part 1: How to Make a Black Line Drawing
- Value Study Part 2: Light, Medium and Dark
- Color Personality
- Make Major Decisions First
How to Choose Colors
- How to Choose Colors Introduction
- Paint Brochures
- Use Fabric or Wallpaper for Inspiration
- How Textures Work
- Floor Dump and Sort
- Pinch Test
- Let’s Paint
Where to Place Colors
- Use the Value Study
- Color Distribution
- Sometimes More is More
- Pictorial Tips
- Tips for Buying Wool
- Rip Out or Not Rip Out
- Welcome Deer Hooked in Neutrals
- Traditional Floral Pattern
- Little House Case Study
- Free Pattern
- How to Marry & Marbelize Wool
- Webinar aka Live! Lessons
- Full Length Video
- Downloads, etc.
- Change Log
- Recorded video of each lesson
- Full written article explaining the lesson
- Downloadable PDFs are included in some lessons that you can print out and store in a notebook for quick reference
- Coming 2018*: MP3 file that you can download to your music player. Listen while your eyes are busy
- Coming 2018*: Companion book for the course, one for your e-book reader and a printable PDF version.
Still not sure?
Let me know what your concerns are. There may have been something I’ve overlooked. Call me at 419-287-3884 between 9am and 7pm eastern or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let’s talk.
Help me spread the word. Tell a friend or the whole community!
Enjoy this free sample lesson
Frequently Asked Questions….
Will this work on an tablet or phone?
Yes, You can prove this by watching the sample video above. If it does not play on your device, I’d like to know. It should work on all devices that can access the internet.
What if I work full time? Will I miss out?
No! The Live! Lesson events are scheduled during the day, evenings and weekends. You should find a few that will work. Replays are always available. You may be busy and unable to watch live, but you can watch the replay at any time.
What happens at the live events?
You can attend live and ask questions. If you cannot attend live, a recording will be available. Here’s a sample of a recent Live! event. What we talk about depends on what questions are asked.
I’m a beginner. Is this course for me?
Yes. This course will help brand new rug hookers and more experienced hookers. I sure wish I had something like this when I started. I would not have spent so much money on wool that did not work.