I spent some free time in the Doctor’s waiting room. On a scrap of paper I played around with some ideas. The upper right is my current idea for the border around the rug. I liked how the roses barge into the circle border. The two rugs to the left may become rug hooking patterns.
When I originally started the room sized rug, I hooked the stair risers as tests for the border. I had planned to use repeats of Queen Anne Rose. This was such a fundamental element of how I started the design, that it was hard to let go.
The rose I am using in the border is different from the roses in the center of the rug. This is the rose from Queen Anne Rose stair riser. So I am using some of the design, just now how I originally intended.
I spread the rug out on the living room floor and placed paper cut outs where I wanted the roses for the border. Below are photos showing how I drew up the individual designs using a fat marker. After I cut them out, it is easy to move them around until I have an arrangement I like. I am not going to get too worried about having them exactly spaced. I like the slightly “off” look better. When things are perfect, they are stiff and boring.
One example is the line around the circle border. I originally hooked three lines perfectly in the ditch. There was something wrong, it was too perfect. I ripped out and rehooked the center line allowing myself to meander three holes on each side of the center line, trying not to make a pattern . Then I hooked a row tight against each side. Wonderfully planned randomness!