I am posting this so the posts will be in order. The videos are not complete yet but here are the written instructions and some photos.
I stained my feet with Minwax Polyshades. It is a stain and Polyurethane in one step. I used several coats. The color I used is Bombay Mahogany Gloss #480, a rich dark color that does not detract from the hooking. I could not find an 8 oz. can this time, which is enough for several stools. The smallest I could find was quart. The first coat was the satin finish, the next several coats were from the new can with a gloss finish.
You can add a plastic or felt pad on the bottom to protect your floor. Look for these items in the section of the store where they have the stick on felt pads. The stick on will not stay in place, but there are some nice ones that nail or screw into place. I’ve found them with felt pads for wood floors, slick metal for carpeting and rubber tips in case your footstool keeps creeping away from you.
Make your own rug hooked footstoolI have several rug hooking footstool patterns available. I am posting complete instructions (videos are still being edited) on how to build your own using simple 2x4s, plywood and foam. There is a complete cutting diagram for the wood and the foam. I also have instructions on how to finish your hooking so you can complete your rug hooked footstool. [ Here are the list of instructions available so far:
- Footstool Construction Material List
- Footstool Feet - Where to Get Them
- Footstool Feet - Staining
- Build the Box
- Adding the foam
- Preparing the Backing
- Sewing up the Sides
- Upholstery and Finishing Touches
These instructions are still a rough draft. If you have any questions be sure to ask. I will be adding the videos and updates as I can. Be sure to visit again before you dig into your project so you have the latest information. A PDF with all the instructions in one place will be available for download once I have everything written up and finalized. It is not ready yet.
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.
- Footstool Constuction Material List
- Rug Hooked Footstool Feet – where to get them
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Some tips for staining the wooden feet
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Adding the Foam
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Build the Box
- Why all my footstool designs have lower borders
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Prepare the pattern for finishing
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Sew the side seams
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Finishing the Upholstery
- Finishing a rug hooked footstool at the upholsterer’s