Last updated on August 2nd, 2012
Once you begin hooking on your pattern, order the feet for the footstool so you will have them when your hooking is complete. You can find many sources on the internet. A few are listed below. These feet are 4″ in diameter and 6″ tall which will give you a final footstool height of approximately 16″. They come unfinished and attach by simply screwing them into pre-drilled holes.
I stained mine with Minwax Polyshades. It is a stain and Polyurethane in 1 step. I used several coats. The color I used is Bombay Mahogany Gloss #480, a rich dark color that does not detract from the hooking. I could not find an 8 oz. can this time, which is enough for several stools. The smallest I could find was quart.
You can add a plastic or felt pad on the bottom to protect your floor.
Places to order footstool feet for rug hooked footstool:
I ordered A0558 CONTEMPORARY BUN FEET with Dowel Screw, 6″ height in paint grade from Adams Wood Products. This is the exact same foot that I’ve used on my previous footstools.
Make your own rug hooked footstoolI have several rug hooking footstool patterns available. I am posting complete instructions (videos are still being edited) on how to build your own using simple 2x4s, plywood and foam. There is a complete cutting diagram for the wood and the foam. I also have instructions on how to finish your hooking so you can complete your rug hooked footstool. [ Here are the list of instructions available so far:
- Footstool Construction Material List
- Footstool Feet - Where to Get Them
- Footstool Feet - Staining
- Build the Box
- Adding the foam
- Preparing the Backing
- Sewing up the Sides
- Upholstery and Finishing Touches
These instructions are still a rough draft. If you have any questions be sure to ask. I will be adding the videos and updates as I can. Be sure to visit again before you dig into your project so you have the latest information. A PDF with all the instructions in one place will be available for download once I have everything written up and finalized. It is not ready yet.
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.
- Footstool Constuction Material List
- Rug Hooked Footstool Feet – where to get them
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Some tips for staining the wooden feet
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Adding the Foam
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Build the Box
- Why all my footstool designs have lower borders
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Prepare the pattern for finishing
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Sew the side seams
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Finishing the Upholstery