Last updated on March 12th, 2018
Review the material list to cut the wood to size.
The construction does not need to be perfect. The box will be covered with foam and then covered with your rug hooking. If you stain the feet before you construct the box you can use the 2×4’s to support the feet as they dry. If you get stain on the wood it will be completely covered.
Note: The photos below are not glued or nailed. I will add the video showing the actual construction when it is edited to the bottom of this post.
Mark the placement of the holes for the feet. If you ordered the same feet that I did the easiest way to mark it is one 2×4 width away from the edge. Draw lines along two edges and where they intersect that is where you will drill the hole. I think it is easier to drill the holes NOW rather than wait until the construction is complete. This is an example of do as I say and not as I did. In the video, I did not mark them first.Be sure the holes are lined up. They are NOT in the center of the 2×4. Mark the edge that you measured from as “out”. This will help you later when you lay them out.
- Lay out the 2×4’s so they form a square. Be sure to keep your label “out” on the outside of the square.
- Hold them in place using the corrugated staples and some glue. This will be a bit wobbly but the plywood sides that are added in the next step will help it to stay in shape.
- Add the first side. Start with the shorter sides. Use nails to attach it along the bottom edge.
- Attach the second short side with nails along the bottom.
- Attach the first longer side with nails along the bottom and add a few along the edge. You will want to be careful that the nails do not pierce the surface of the stool. Check to be sure the nails are in the right position before you pound them in all the way. It is much easier to remove the nail and start over if you catch the problem while you can still grab some of the nail.
- Attach the final side along the bottom and sides.
Apply the top being careful that the nails do not pierce the outer sides. Before you attach the top you might want to include a note or treasure inside. Use your imagination. Whatever you put inside will probably be there for decades before it is discovered. You might want to attach it to the sides so it does not rattle when the footstool is moved.
Now you are ready to attach the foam.
Make your own rug hooked footstoolI have several rug hooking footstool patterns available. I am posting complete instructions (videos are still being edited) on how to build your own using simple 2x4s, plywood and foam. There is a complete cutting diagram for the wood and the foam. I also have instructions on how to finish your hooking so you can complete your rug hooked footstool. [ Here are the list of instructions available so far:
- Footstool Construction Material List
- Footstool Feet - Where to Get Them
- Footstool Feet - Staining
- Build the Box
- Adding the foam
- Preparing the Backing
- Sewing up the Sides
- Upholstery and Finishing Touches
These instructions are still a rough draft. If you have any questions be sure to ask. I will be adding the videos and updates as I can. Be sure to visit again before you dig into your project so you have the latest information. A PDF with all the instructions in one place will be available for download once I have everything written up and finalized. It is not ready yet.
Cindi Gay Rug Hooking Newsletter
Enter your email carefully.
If you have a typo, you will never receive the confirmation email. You need to click on the link in this first email you receive. This confirms your email address and adds you to the list.
- Footstool Constuction Material List
- Rug Hooked Footstool Feet – where to get them
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Some tips for staining the wooden feet
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Adding the Foam
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Build the Box
- Why all my footstool designs have lower borders
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Prepare the pattern for finishing
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Sew the side seams
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Finishing the Upholstery
- Finishing a rug hooked footstool at the upholsterer’s