You gathered the materials, ordered the feet, stained them and built to box. Now you need to add the foam. I used the green high density foam because I think my older footstools have gone a bit flat. I’m hoping the higher quality foam will hold up better.
Use spray glue to attach the foam to the wooden box. You need just enough to hold it in place. I used a 3M spay glue for foam because I had it on hand. Just read the labels and get the glue that will work for you.
- Add the largest 1″ foam piece to the top. Attach with spray glue. You don’t need a large amount of glue on these pieces. The glue will hold them in place until your hooking can hold them in place permanently.
- Next add the smallest one. Attach with spray glue.
- Finally add the medium sized piece. Attach with spray glue.
- Test fit the Soft and Crafty pieces in place.
- Wrap the largest Soft and Crafty across the top and down the sides. Arrange the small pieces so they reach up to meet the largest piece. Make of note of how they are positioned
Remove the foam and replace them as before using the spray glue to hold them in place. Give extra attention to the seams to be sure the Soft and Crafty foam is secure.
Make your own rug hooked footstool
- Footstool Construction Material List
- Footstool Feet - Where to Get Them
- Footstool Feet - Staining
- Build the Box
- Adding the foam
- Preparing the Backing
- Sewing up the Sides
- Upholstery and Finishing Touches
These instructions are still a rough draft. If you have any questions be sure to ask. I will be adding the videos and updates as I can. Be sure to visit again before you dig into your project so you have the latest information. A PDF with all the instructions in one place will be available for download once I have everything written up and finalized. It is not ready yet.
- Footstool Constuction Material List
- Rug Hooked Footstool Feet – where to get them
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Some tips for staining the wooden feet
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Adding the Foam
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Build the Box
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Prepare the pattern for finishing
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Sew the side seams
- Rug Hooked Footstool – Finishing the Upholstery