When you subscribe to my rug hooking newsletter you will be notified by email whenever I write a new post for the website. You will also receive additional emails with rug hooking tips that are not on the website and other news announcements. Stay up to date. Join the list today.
What is rug hooking?
It is much more than just a rag rug. Rug hooking is the technique of taking strips of wool and pulling them through a woven base, creating a beautiful pattern. Wool is a fiber that does not absorb moisture and stays clean naturally.
Rug hooking is one of America’s oldest folk arts and is a very easy concept to learn. Although easy, most rug hookers are continually learning new concepts and techniques. I can teach anyone to rug hook. All it takes is a hook, backing, some scraps of wool and the willingness to try.
How to rug hook:
- Stick your hook into the backing
- Pull up one end. Make it about 1/2″-3/4″ long.
- Stick the hook in again. You will NOT hook in every hole.
- Pull up a loop
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until your rug is complete
This is a simplification of the technique but at its core rug hooking really is simple. You can learn the technique in 5 minutes and then spend the rest of your life learning all the finer points. I’ve been hooking for over 15 years and I’m still learning something new.
To learn more. . .
- Subscribe (it’s free)
- Visit the rug eSchool page for instructions and tutorials
- For more rug hooking lessons, click on one of the series in the sidebar.
Cindi Gay, rug hooking artist and teacher
After teaching on the road since 2004, I am taking a full year off from traveling. I am still teaching at home. Set up a class at the new studio or just stop by to shop for that perfect wool for your new project.
I live in farm country south of the Ohio Turnpike and east of I-75 in Northwest Ohio. Call to make an appointment to stop by if you are traveling in the area. Use your GPS to get to 6988 Linwood Rd., Pemberville, OH or call for directions from your area.
Popular Rug Hooking Articles, Lessons and Tutorials
- Footstool Construction
- Weekday Morning Hook-in Join me most weekdays to hook for 30 minutes or longer. Join the fun and ask a question, get advice on your rug or just visit for a spell.
- The fastest way to finish a pillow.
- Follow my progress on my room-sized rug.
- How to instructions for my favorite finishing method.